John 7 Preview
We will study chapter 7 together, this Monday, 11.7.11, looking at Jesus’ claims to His Jewish audience. Because John MacArthur’s study guide combines several chapter of the Gospel of John together, we will adjust for our personal study time. Keep an eye on the website for questions to answer as you read the upcoming chapters.
1. There are several opinions of Jesus noted in v 12-13. What is your opinion? How does John portray Jesus in chapter 7 – “a good man,” “someone leading astray”, or something else altogether?
2. Why did Jesus not want to follow his disciples to the feast of booths? He ended up going to the festival, and even teaching. So what did he accomplish that would not have occurred if he was presented by his disciples? In other words, what was there goal vs. what was His?
3. Jesus, calling himself living water, seems like a repeat to what he said to the woman at the well in John 4. What did the writer John repeat this? Compare and contrast Jesus’ claim to be water with her and this audience.
4. Write down any ideas or sections of this chapter that stick out you. Why do you find them significant?
5. As you have time and access to resources (bible notes, commentaries, or google), research the Feast of Booths (also called the Feast of the Tabernacles). If you don’t have the opportunity, don’t worry, we’ll teach about it and how that backdrop helps us understand what Jesus is trying to communicate.